You are here

St. Paul and Duluth Railroad

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The St. Paul and Duluth Railroad was reorganized from the Lake Superior and Mississippi Railroad in the 1870s. It was bought by the Northern Pacific in 1900. Known to this day as the "Skally Line", it operated from Saint Paul to Duluth, Minnesota, with branches to Minneapolis, Taylors Falls, Kettle River, and Cloquet, in Minnesota, and Grantsburg and Superior in Wisconsin.

Disposition

The line was purchased by the Northern Pacific Railway, which was succeeded by the Burlington Northern and then the Burlington Northern Santa Fe. Most of the line became redundant with other lines after the Burlington Northern merger, as it paralled another line of the Great Northern Railway. Most of the line therefore was abandoned and many segments were turned into rail trails.

The disposition of those segments is as follows:

St. Paul, Minnesota to Maplewood, Minnesota - abandoned; now part of the Bruce Vento Regional Trail
Maplewood, Minnesota to Hugo, Minnesota - now operated by the Minnesota Commercial Railway
Hugo, Minnesota to North Branch, Minnesota - abandoned; now the Hardwood Creek Regional Trail and Sunrise Prairie Trail
North Branch, Minnesota to Hinckley, Minnesota - now operated by the St. Croix Valley Railroad
Hinckley, Minnesota to Duluth, Minnesota - abandoned; now the Willard Munger State Trail

Route map from 1891:
http://www.memoriallibrary.com/Trans/RRGaz/SPD/map.htm